Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Beginning

Our journey began long before we actually left. I moved to Georgia from the Midwest a couple of years ago. I met my soul mate and fellow traveler on Craigslist of all places. I knew he was the one the first time we met. We sat on my apartment patio smoking a blunt and soon he was telling me how he was taking off on a backpacking trip. I was in love. “Are you serious?! Oh my god, that’s my dream.” We talked and talked of hitchhiking, train hopping, and walking across the country. After I made the decision to go with him, we began planning.


There were backpacks, shoes, sleeping bags, cooking stoves and any number of things we needed to research and buy. We didn’t originally plan on hitchhiking. In fact, what we really wanted was to train hop across the country. We were of the opinion that it was impossible to get a ride in America. Surely, no one would pick us up. How wrong we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment